“The difference between the ordinary and the extraordinary is that extra 10%”
Millions and millions of people all around the world can play the guitar. What makes YOU special then? What makes you stand above the crowd? What makes you into a musician who influences people and “fills buckets” and not one who’ll be forgotten as soon as you leave the place?
Music for me is all about having fun, but if on top of that you want to be a guitarist and a musician who really interests the listeners, gives pleasure and remains memorable to those who surround you when you play your instrument, you can walk the extra mile and have some unique “features” to your music.
So the idea behind this post is to give you some new musical directions to think about – that will make YOU a special musician, in one way or another. Let’s go:
So what can we do? How about…
- Playing the harmonica and the guitar together.
- Singing really well, with charisma and in a way that’ll make everyone join in the singing.
- Having a wide repertoire with tons of songs that people love listening to and singing along with (and you remember them all by heart).
- Carrying with you some small percussion instruments and give to people around the jam.
- Having a customized, neat looking and well maintained guitar. That’s part of your appearance.
- Having outstandingly capturing guitar skills earned through effective practicing.
- Singing cool and special songs of your OWN.
- Playing some amazing and ear-catching lead guitar phrases and riffs through your vast knowledge in music theory.
- Playing multiple instruments. Piano is way easier than you think! What about Harmonica? Browse some second instrument options!
- Using a loop pedal to simulate two different people playing together while it is only you up there.
- Carrying customized chord books with hundreds of song that you and your friends can always jam to.
- Accompanying your friend’s singing with gorgeous harmony singing.
- Jam and host your friends in your delightful music room / apartment.
- Gather unique influences on yourself through constantly exploring a lot of different artists and albums, and listening to beautiful world music.
- Whistling in an accurate and fun way to accompany yourself with melodies and solos.
Hope that gives you some ideas. Use the links for these articles! Brainstorm with yourself, and see what’s interesting for you and what suits your personality. Pick some ways and start working at it. Be different. Intrigue and inspire your friends and listeners.
“Consume those ‘popular’ things, and you’ll be part of the common average pack. But that’s ordinary. There’s nothing wrong with ordinary. I just prefer to shoot for the extraordinary.”
Darren Hardy, The Compound Effect.